Every April Autism Speaks celebrates World Autism Month, beginning with United Nations-sanctioned World Autism Awareness Day on April 2. Throughout the month, we focus on sharing stories and providing opportunities to increase understanding and acceptance of people with autism, fostering worldwide support.
What is World Autism Month?
Every April Autism Speaks celebrates World Autism Month, beginning with United Nations-sanctioned World Autism Awareness Day on April 2. Throughout the month, we focus on sharing stories and providing opportunities to increase understanding and acceptance of people with autism, fostering worldwide support. This year, we are committed to keeping the spirit of the month alive, as now more than ever we know the autism community needs support, kindness and compassion. In April 2021 we’re inviting the community to #LightUpWithKindness.
How can I participate?
There is power in kindness and one small act can have a ripple effect to foster kindness in our communities. We believe that that kindness can help create a world where all people can reach their full potential.
Supporters can participate in the initiative by visiting autismspeaks.org/wam where they can:
- Commit to take action toward a kinder world.
- Connect with kindness by sharing resources and stories on social media to increase global understanding and acceptance.
- Lead with kindness by advocating to help advance policies that positively impact the autism community or starting a kindness campaign at work.
- Learn with kindness in the classroom with daily kind acts and fundraising activities.
- Care with kindness by accessing and sharing resources, including our Autism Response Team who provide real-time support, guidance and reliable information and services.
- Give with kindness through a donation, purchase in our e-store, or support of our corporate partners.
Other ways to participate include wearing blue on April 2, lighting buildings blue and exploring stories and photos shared by the diverse autism community.
What is Light It Up Blue?
The Light It Up Blue initiative was created by Autism Speaks in 2010. Since that time, joined by the international autism community, hundreds of thousands of landmarks, buildings, homes and communities around the world light blue on World Autism Awareness Day (April 2) in recognition of people with autism.
With the recent Autism Speaks logo change from blue to the spectrum of colors, can I still “Light It Up Blue?”
Yes! Autism Speaks is still rooted in our legacy blue.
Where can I get items to show my support of Autism Speaks?
Please visit the Autism Speaks eStore to purchase t-shirts, bracelets, pins, yard signs and other promotional products to spread kindness. Printed materials such as posters, flyers and brochures can be downloaded for free from the resources page.
How can I light my home blue?
You can purchase Phillips Autism Speaks blue light bulbs at Home Depot stores or visit www.homedepot.com and search “Autism Speaks Lights.”
I want to light my commercial building or public structure blue. What resources are available?
Visit www.rosco.com/LIUB for information on commercial lighting options.
How can I share my WAM photos online?
Download our Selfie Frame to use and show your support for people with autism. Then share photos by posting them with the hashtag #LightItUpBlue and #kindnesscounts to Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Instagram.
Can I use the Autism Speaks World Autism Month marks for my event/fundraiser?
- The logo must remain intact. You may not change or add anything to it.
- You may not place the logo on any product or use for selling purposes.
- In the US, any fundraising activity utilizing the World Autism Month marks (or any Autism Speaks marks) must have the authorization of Autism Speaks. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org and an Autism Speaks representative will contact you directly to review guidelines.
Where can I get the World Autism Month logo?